Отправлено 13 Октябрь 2010 - 06:23
Mircea, could you please comment on his uniform type, rank, etc.?
Отправлено 13 Октябрь 2010 - 13:53
I can tell you this, Romanian Air Force was founded around 1910 and the first Romanian plane built at the ”Army Arsenal” and invented by Aurel Vlaicu (November 19, 1882 – September 13, 1913) flew at 17 June 1910.
Also the man in the photo looks like the Romanian inventor Aurel Vlaicu, here are two links: http://earlyaviators.com/evlaicu.htm and http://en.wikipedia....ki/Aurel_Vlaicu
This photo must be taken between 1910-1913
Отправлено 20 Август 2011 - 17:40
Am I right assuming that this is a portrait of a member of early Romanian Airforce (Carol I pre-WW1 era)? His cap cockade is identical to the one attached below.
In my opinion, he's not a member of early Romanian Airforce but a worker of CFR (Caile Ferate Romane) = Romanian Railways. Here is a link:
1. Engine driver Petre Theodosiu, 1820
2. Telegraph station Roman, C.C.Cauca, in full dress uniform, in 1910
3. French type cap with King Carol I cipher
4. French type cap with King Ferdinand I cipher
Отправлено 22 Август 2011 - 20:12
Отправлено 26 Август 2011 - 14:36
Many thanks for your comments!
As far as I don't understand Romanian could you please tell me if this could help us in identifying this man's rank (info from the website you gave a link to):
"Categoria statiei era evidentiata prin tipul tresei:
- clasa principala - tresa de aur de 20 mm;
- clasa I - tresa de aur de 15 mm;
- clasa a II-a - patru trese de aur de 3 mm;
- clasa a III-a - trei trese de aur de 3 mm;
- clasa a IV-a - doua trese de aur de 3 mm;
- clasa a V-a - o tresa de aur de 3 mm"
As for the type of uniform he wears - what is the Romanian name of the "full dress uniform" - mare...?
No, unfortunately it doesn't help. Those gold lace markings were used by railway station chiefs and they indicated the category of railway station:
- clasa principala (principal = глaвный; clasa = клacc) - one gold lace 20 mm( "tresa" (sg), "trese" (pl) = нaшивкa);
- 1st class - one gold lace 15 mm;
- 2nd class - 4 gold laces 3 mm;
- 3rd class - 3 gold laces 3 mm;
- 4th class - 2 gold laces 3 mm;
- 5th class - one gold lace 3 mm;
The man in the photo is not a railway station chief and he has a star, not gold laces on his epaulettes.
The Romanian name of the full dress uniform is "mare ținută" (ținută = фopмa).
Отправлено 27 Август 2011 - 12:01
By the way, I read last year an article about the Romanian aviation, about the history of uniforms in Romanian Airforce (with photos) published in some Army review. I try to find it but it takes time.