Shumushu Fortification System
There are nine fortified installations and 20 coastal defence positions commanded from Kataoka Fortress.
Japanese Army Units
• 73rd Infantry Brigade (Mjr. Gen. Iwao Zugino)
• 282nd Battalion
• 283rd Battalion
• 284th Battalion
• 285th Battalion
• 286th Battalion
• 287th Battalion
• 11th Tank Regiment
Commanded by Colonel Zueo Ikeda, the regiment was equipped with 20 Type 97-"Shinhoto Chi-Ha" tanks, 19 Type 97 "Chi-Ha" medium tanks, and 25 Type 95 "Ha-Go" light tanks.
• 12th or 2nd Tank Company
• 91st Division
• 1st Artillery Unit
• 2nd Artillery Unit
• I/54th Air Regiment (4 Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa "Oscar", some Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki "Tojo" and possibly Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate "Frank" too),based in Miyoshino Airfield,Shumushu.
• Shumushu Alert Radar: located at Minami Cape and cannery on the Naka River
Paramushiro Fortification system
There are less than two or possibly more fortifications and 6 or more coastal defensive positions commanded from Kashiwabara Fortress.
Japanese Army Units
• 91st Division Hq (Lt. Gen. Fuzai Tsutsumi)
• 74th Infantry Brigade (Major Zeiji Zato)
• 4th Tank Company (detachment of 11th Tank Regiment)
• II/54th Sentai (Ki-43 Oscars and Ki-44 Tojos)
• Kitanodai Airfield: airfield located on the north-east tip of the island with a single 4,000' x 180آ؛ runway. The base had 40 ravetments and over 50 hardstands.
• Kashiwabara Airfield: located at the north-eastern tip of the island, closest to Shumshu Island. Japanese Army Staging area in the north.heavily defended by 20 anti-aircraft positiions
• Kakumabetsu Airfield: airfield located in the south-west side of the isand with a 3,800' x 150' runway.Ki-44 Tojo operated from this strip.
• Suribachi Airbase: annex airfield located at the center of the south coast of the island, with two runways.
Japanese Navy Units in Shumushu and Paramushiro
• 51st Guards Unit (942 men)
• 52nd Guard Unit (333 men)
• Shumushu Signa Unit (42 men)
• 32nd AA Defense Unit (18 men)
• Kita Chisima Naval Hq
• North East Fleet (Kashibawara and Kataoka Bases)
• North East Unit (189 men/4 Nakajima B5 N2 "Kate" and probably Aichi D2 A3 "Val" or Yokosuka D2Y2 "Judy" dive bombers)
• 12th Air Fleet Unit (equipped with Kawanishi H6 K2 "Mavis"and Mitsubishi G4 M2 "Bettys")
• Shimushu Detachment, Naval Air Group 203 (with Mitsubishi A6 M5 "Zeke"and Nakajima J1 N1-S "Irving" night fighter)
• Hokuto Kokutai (553rd Kokutai) - B5N Kate & B6N Jill
• 203rd Kokutai (A6M, J1N1)
• Musashi Naval Base (Musashi Airfield):Located on the south-western tip of the Paramushiro island was this Naval base and airfield located at Karabu Zaki. The runways were 4,300' x 260' and 4,200' x 375'. Anti-aircraft guns were added at the nearby cape with 8 guns, 20 pillboxes and many gun pits.
• Miyoshino Airfield Japanese Army-Navy airfield, located near the center of the Shumushu island.This airfield based several units including a B5N2 Kate, G3M Nell and Ki-43 Oscar based there.
• Kataoka Naval Base (Imaizaki Airfield):This base had two runways 5,000' x 250' and 4,000' x 250'.The base had a large 130' x 165' hanger with 13 covered ravetments and 34 uncovered ravetments, three 60' oil storage tanks and other barracks and supply buildings.The base also had a seaplane facility on the harbor,allowing H6K2 Mavis flying boats to operate at the base as headquarters of the 5th Fleet.
И камешек, где находится незнаю.